March 14, 2017


(posted from Medjugorje in Bosnia-Hercegovina, adjacent to Croatia)

Ludbreg is a little town in Croatia. In 1411, a priest was celebrating Mass there, in a chapel in County Batthyany’s castle. The priest, however, had doubts about the Transubstantiation. During the consecration, the wine in the chalice changed into the physical composition of blood. The priest decided to hide this relic in the wall behind the main altar. He engaged workmen to help with the task, and swore them to silence.

The priest kept his secret until the time of his death, and then he did reveal it. News of this spread and pilgrims began making trips to Ludbreg. The Vatican had the relic brought to Rome, and in the early 1500s, sent a commission to Ludbreg to investigate the apparent miracle. Many people testified to having received miraculous cures while praying before the relic. In 1513, Pope Leo X issued a decree authorizing veneration of the relic.

The relic was later returned to Croatia. In 1721, Countess Eleanora Battyhany-Strattman had a monstrance made specifically for the purpose of housing the relic.

It is in that monstrance to this day.

To this day, the blood remains perfectly intact, even though human blood normally deteriorates after only 8-10 days. In this case, it has taken over 600 years to date.

Source: Source: “The Eucharistic Miracles of the World,” a Vatican international exhibition, as reported by The Real Presence Eucharistic Education and Adoration and Association, and


Copyright 2012 The Humble Catholic

Web site designed by Chicago web design company : Indigo Image