November 30, 2015

Saint John of the Abbesses

In 887, a monastery was founded in the Catalonia region of Spain. It was called “Saint John of the Abbesses.” The monastery is noteworthy today for something that happened almost 400 years later.

In 1251, some figures were carved in wood, depicting Jesus being taken down from the Cross. They included Jesus, His Mother, the Apostle John, Joseph of Arimathea, Nicodemus and the two criminals crucified with Him. In the forehead of the statue of Jesus, the woodcarver made a depression, approximately two and a half inches in diameter, for the apparent purpose of enclosing a host.

A consecrated Host was indeed placed there and sealed with a small silver plaque. It was forgotten until, in 1426, work was done to restore the statues. Then the Host was discovered, wrapped in a white linen cloth, totally uncorrupted.

The statue survived the Spanish Civil War in 1936 and that same Host, known as “The Most Holy Mystery of Saint John of the Abbesses” is still visited by numerous pilgrims to this day.

Source: “The Eucharistic Miracles of the World,” a Vatican international exhibition, as reported by The Real Presence Eucharistic Education and Adoration and Association,


Copyright 2012 The Humble Catholic

Web site designed by Chicago web design company : Indigo Image