March 8, 2019

Sister Bernadette Moriau

There have been 70 cures at the shrine to Our Lady at Lourdes, France which have been officially recognized as miraculous. Here is the 70th.

Sister Bernadette Moriau was raised in a devout family. Her parents were members of the Franciscan Third Order. She herself entered the Congregation of the Franciscan Oblate Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus some 60 years ago. For two years, she cared for the sick. Then, she began to experience problems with her vertebral column, for which she has had four surgeries. After operations in 1965 an 1968, she was moved into a living area where she was one of the sick herself.

Some 40 years later, she was in an infirmary in Nantes, in northwestern France. Shortly thereafter, she met Dr. Fumery, who had been leading pilgrimages to Lourdes for 40 years. He asked her to go. At this time, Sister Moriau had been on morphine for some 14 years. While she could still walk, her condition was degrading and she was, in her words, “headed for paralysis. She had come to be at peace with her condition and no longer believed in a miracle for herself. Still, she decided to go to Lourdes in July of 2008, to participate in the celebration marking the fact that it had been 150 years since the apparitions of Our Lady to Bernadette Soubirous.

At Lourdes, she received the Sacrament of Reconciliation ad the Sacrament of the Sick. Then she went to the pools and to the Saint Pius X Basilica. There, during the procession of the Holy Sacrament, the Bishop, Monsignor James, came to bless the sick with the monstrance. She said that, when he came towards her and the others in her midst, she: “had these words in my heart, Jesus saying to me: ‘I walk in your midst, I see your suffering, that of your sick brothers and sisters, give Me all.’ At that moment, I truly felt this living presence of Christ and I asked for healing for my sick brothers and sisters who were next to me, particularly for the youngest.”

Afterwards, she returned home. She rested for three days, still wearing a corset and a splint on her leg and foot. She also still had the neuro-stimulator and the self-probes that she had lived with for the last 10 years.

On the third day after her return, she went to the chapel, for adoration of the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. It was at 5:45 pm, the same hour as the procession of the Holy Eucharist at Lourdes, that she felt a “great relaxation and a warmth,” that felt as if it, “invaded her.” Not knowing what this meant, she went to her room. There, she “perceived” a voice that said to her, “pick up your equipment.” She picked up the equipment of her foot and leg and her foot was straightened. She could put her foot on the floor. Then she took off her corset, and no longer had any pain to move. She left her room and told another sister, “I don’t know what’s happening to me.” She stopped the neuro-stimulator; she stopped the morphine abruptly, without any symptoms of withdrawl; she stopped the self-probes. The following day, she took a walk in the forest, for five kilometers.

On July 15, she went to see Dr. Fumery. He was astounded, but understood. She had been cured.



Copyright 2012 The Humble Catholic

Web site designed by Chicago web design company : Indigo Image